Science 231

When I was in 8th grade, I was given the opportunity to participate in an accelerated program that gave future freshman the chance to take “Introduction to Chemistry and Physics.” It was also called “Science 231” and was a required course to take if you were going to move on to Chemistry and Physics etc. later on down the road.

I jumped at it. I’m wired for “challenge” and the idea of accomplishing something that positioned me for future success resonated with me.

I wound up quitting. While I was motivated, I was also spread pretty thin in that I was involved in some other activities that made for a schedule that looked do-able on paper, but wasn’t practical once you were having to deal with the real-world logistics of the situation.

It made an impact on me in that it conditioned me to loathe quitting. While I received plenty of encouragement when I told my “Science 231” teachers that I was going to have put this off until I entered High School, they were very gracious. But I felt like I had failed. In the back of my mind, I questioned whether or not I was giving up because it was tough or if I was making an intelligent decision.

I determined that I was doing the right thing and it turned out just fine. I took the course my freshman year and I went on to complete Chemistry and Physics in my sophomore and junior year. But the experience of having to take a step back and re-evaluate my direction taught me a couple of things that I still have to apply to this today when it comes to maintaining a healthy perspective.

“Quitting” is still just as distasteful as it ever was. Diligence, discipline, endurance – these are all characteristics of the people I admire the personalities who’ve gone on to accomplish great things.

But being disciplined can become obsessive. Resolving to endure is virtuous until it becomes stubbornness and then it’s a character flaw. What’s the difference? When does being motivated become a problem?

Looking back on my “Science 231” experience, while I would not have been able to articulate it at that point, I can see now that what I was doing was wise. And that’s what distinguishes a virtue from a vice: Wisdom.

I see this with artists a lot. They’re so fixated on the “prize” that they make compromises which produce any one of a number of problems ranging from financial to emotional simply because they see any change in their direction as being a concession. They shift their priorities around even when the priorities that they’re manipulating are those that should remain paramount. And they do it because they see anything that “stands in their way” as being an obstacle and the price they wind up paying is costly.

On a more profound level, I see this in terms of my relationship with my Heavenly Father. I will wear myself out attempting to accomplish something significant. I dot all my “i’s” and cross all my “t’s” and then place all of those things that can neither be controlled or anticipated at my Savior’s feet and I plead and I fast and I pray and… I don’t get the response I’m hoping for.

I’ve got sweat mixed with dirt dripping off my face, I’m up to my neck in work and strife trying to keep the dream alive. I’m doing all I can to overcome and succeed and to endure and nothing is happening!

I encourage myself with verses that highlight endurance and perseverance and I keep moving forward. But then…

Then I hear this Voice reminding me that there’s a difference between quitting and surrendering. What’s the distinction? Wisdom. What’s the benefit? Peace.

God loves hardchargers. Hard work is encouraged (Prov 6:9-11; 12:24; 21:5; 2 Thess 3:10) but if the beginning of wisdom is the fear of the Lord (Prov 9:10), then in order for my hard work to amount to anything of significance, it has to be done according to the direction and Power afforded to me by my God (Matt 6:32-33; Phil 2:13).

So, if I’m able to determine that I’m working hard, but I’m moving in the wrong direction. I’m not “quitting” when I choose to stop, rather I’m surrendering to the Authority and the Advantage represented by my Heavenly Father (Rom 12:1-2).

That’s not defeat, that’s wisdom.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply