Bruce is originally from a small town in upstate New York called Hilton. Two weeks after graduating High School, he was at Parris Island, South Carolina engaging the rigorous process one goes through in order to earn the right to wear the uniform of a United States Marine. He would serve for nine years, five of which were spent as a Drum Instructor at the Armed Forces School of Music before being honorably discharged and moving to Nashville, Tennessee.
The move was inspired in part by a great opportunity to be the drummer on the first, “Young Messiah Tour” in 1990 which featured a “who’s who” of Contemporary Christian Music performers. After the tour concluded, Bruce would experience first hand the term, “starving artist” as he labored to keep his dream of being a full time musician alive with various playing opportunities leading Praise and Worship for Youth Groups from behind a drumset and supplementing his “proud but incremental” income with a job at the greatest fast food restaurant on the planet: Chick Fil A.
During this time he was rehearsing with a quality group of individuals he had met through various church affiliations that would go on to form the group, “Western Flyer.” It’s here where Bruce would be able to enjoy the rare and special experience of having a record deal and hear his band on the radio and see it listed on the Country Music charts.
After “Western Flyer” came off the road, Bruce secured a position with a local Christian publishing company. It wasn’t long after beginning his career with LifeWay that he was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in his hips and underwent bilateral hip replacement surgery.
While fitness had always been a priority, with the sense of urgency that came with the need to take care of his new prostheses, diet and exercise took on a whole new look. Thus began a passionate pursuit of dietary and training solutions that would find their ultimate expression in “Muscular Christianity.”
Beyond fitness, the need to be spiritually ripped and being able to answer the question “Why you would want to be spiritually ripped,” is Bruce’s passion. As a father, as a Youth Pastor, as a Small Group teacher – the central theme is to present Christ as a comprehensive Game Changer and not just a Divine Emergency Kit. He makes opportunities obvious (Ps 139:16; Lk 2:27-32; Rom 12:1-2), victories achievable (1 Sam 17:45-47; Ps 44:3; Neh 2:8; Acts 12:6-7) , the trivial becomes significant (Zec 4:10; Matt 16:9-10; 1 Cor 1:28-30) and defeats are now mere stepping stones (Rom 8:28; Acts 16:7). “All things at all times having all that you need…(2 Cor 9:6-7)!”
Do you smell that? That’s the aroma of excellence and THAT’s “Muscular Christianity!”
Bruce is a certified Group Fitness Instructor, a licensed pastor and a published writer. He and his wife Michelle have three children and live in Thompsons Station, Tennessee
various accolades and accomplishments
- nine year veteran USMC
- NCO of the Quarter, First Marine Brigade
- Honor Graduate, Intermediate Course, Armed Forces School of Music
- attended night school for six of the nine years he served in the Corps and earned his Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration
- Navy Achievement Medal awarded for five year tour of duty as Drum Instructor at the Armed Forces School of Music
- drummer on the inaugural “Young Messiah Tour” which was the most successful and well attended Contemporary Christian Music tour up to that point
- national recording artist with the band, “Western Flyer”
- endorsed by Taye Drums, Pintech Percussion and Peavey Sound Systems
- ordained pastor
- Youth Pastor and Music Minister at New Hope Baptist Church
- Music Minister at The Bridge
- authored the official Bible Study that was released with the movie, “Left Behind” starring Nicholas Cage
- Certified Group Fitness Instructor
- Black Belt, Tae Kwon Do